Monday, October 18, 2010

How Jesus became "Black"

Although there are versions of black Jesus that date back to the 1880's, the black Jesus movement began to take form in the late 1960's and early 1970's. As the African-American civil rights movement gained momentum, blacks began to search for new ways to assert new found pride in black heritage, culture, and ethnicity. A means of doing this was making the Christ black. This, in part, symbolized the ideals promoted by black nationalists, although it also symbolized a new theological tradition arise from the black church. Anthony Pinn, noted theologian and church historian, records in his book on the history of Black Liberation Theology, the theological motivations the drove this move and its implications. Because, God identifies so closely with the oppressed, the marginalized, and the disenfranchised, God, in some ontological sense must be black. By making Jesus black, blacks were able not only to legitimize their heritage and racial identity, but also partake in a very exclusive form participatory worship. The civil rights crisis became not just a political reform campaign, but also the crux of a cosmic war between good and evil. This allowed and empowered many blacks to endure some of the harshest forms racial oppression more capably and fight against the powers that kept them subjugated more vehemently, because on an existential level, they were participated with God in redirecting the affairs of man in ways that conform with God's desire and by extension, experiencing God's divine presence in spite of hard times.

3 comments:

  1. Honestly?.... I don't know why people have turned Jesus Black? As a way of relating to Him? As a way of promoting Black Pride? I must first say that I relate to Jesus for who He was/is and definitely not for His image and appearnce. Not trying to preach here, but words cannot express the sentiments I feel for that Man who gave His life for someone as unworthy as me, to save me from my sins. Hey we are all sinners and all unworthy! But anywho, I worship and praise Him for His power and sovereignty, His mercy and grace, and His deeds & obvious service to all mankind. Obviously I relate and connect with him on a spiritually level, which makes his appearance irrelevant. For the record, in my church the pictures of Christ were white, pale skin, or whatever you may want to call it. I seriously have to "laugh out loud" at the fact that He is portrayed as Black in pictures because I don't understand why? How he looks shouldn't matter, whether Black or White, skinny or muscular....? I have to say that I am a very proud African American, but my Black pride does not resonate in making Jesus Black like me or make me feel any closer to Him by making Him Black. I think His teachings & crucifixion is enough for Blacks to use to relate to him, as many Blacks in the past have compared Christ's crucifixion to the lynchings, instead of making him Black. Sorry, I honestly dont see the benefit in making Black.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAAYYY!! I love your comment girl. I just want to say that in our minds, we can ALL relate to Him, blacks and Christians alike. Jesus was neither black nor white, He was Jew, that is historical fact. He was born in the Middle East so geographically He could not of even been black. Relate to Him because he was made in the image of the oppressed, sure, but when the Bible talks about that it is talking about Christians in general, because at the time they were persecuted and slayed for His beliefs. Also, I think now we are striving more for equality between blacks and whites. So making Him black is not equality either. Let's just keep Him what he is, Jewish. So, perhaps you could focus on how He is made to look weak and feminine like but you picture Him as conveying more strength, and not the color of His skin, which would have been a tan brown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me just say I am not a proponent of "Black Jesus", I really don't care what color he was/wasn't. I am just suggesting that the way you envision God often predicts the way you respond to the world around you.

    ReplyDelete